Saturday, August 30, 2008

How to Frame an Oil Pastel

Watch the Demonstration... CLICK HERE!

I have spent the last  few days framing the rest of my oil pastels for my show Monday at The Neptune in Seattle... I managed to capture the process I go through on camera for your viewing pleasure! The unique way I frames these is due to the fact that the paintings are done on Ampersand Hardbord - they can't be framed like regular works on paper... I always make it more difficult for myself! But they turn out wonderful in the end.

Visit my website for a selection of slideshows on techniques for framing, painting, and more!
(or click the link at the top to go right to the demo for how to frame and Oil Pastel painting)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that framing process is really something. How thick does it end up being before it goes in the frame? And how long does it take?

Hope your finger is doing well. Hi to Bert for me. Glad to read about the miracle eye.

Wakar

Jennifer Phillips said...

It ends up being around 3/4 of an inch thick. The first one always takes the longest, cause it is the first one. In this case I did a total of 6 pieces. Each one takes me about 2 plus hours.

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Jennifer, Perhaps I missed your explanation, but why did you chose a warm red to tone your board before applying the monochromatic landscape in oil pastel? I love WIP's. Do more. Hope both eye and art finger are well and working.

Jennifer Phillips said...

Good question.
I often will work on a warm toned surface when I work in color. With oil pastel, it sort of unifies the color palette as it allows the red undertone to "peak" through the overlaying colors.
In this case though, I was using a gray scale color scheme. I did the red undertone anyway, as I wanted to add another element of color with out using pastel.
In the end, the final piece up close reveals hints of warm red glistening through the tree tops and at the base of the trunks.
My technique also involves scratching back into the surface of the piece, adding linear marks and lines. Using a color as a base emphasizes these areas for me.
Thanks for your question -

Jennifer Phillips said...

Meant to ask Kim Kincaid... I feel like I should know the answer to this, what are WIP's?